INN under Linux..

Fabien Tassin fta at sofaraway.org
Tue May 1 17:21:21 UTC 2001

According to bill davidsen:

> | Anyone running INN 2.4-CURRENT under Linux with largefile (for CNFS)
> | and himem (>> 1GB) with or without SMP ?
> | I'm running a similar box for months now, with kernel 2.4.[0-3], glibc 2.1.3
> | and Perl 5.005.03. I'm experiencing a lot of kernel crashes/freezes/BUG()
> | since I'm using himem. Removing SMP helps a little bit but it
> | still crashes randomly.
>
>   I'm running 2.4.3 with glibc-2.2 and it's running okay with
> CURRENT-20010411 and a full feed. I couldn't get the performance out of
> 2.2.anything, SMP was less efficient, network throughput was less, etc,
> etc. Oh, perl 5.6.1 with largefile, otherwise the perl stuff doesn't
> work.

I assume my problem comes from the memory. I have someting like 1.6GB +
0.5GB of swap but I'm experiency kernel bugs while unmapping swap
pages at unbound addresses. It is strange because it is not
swapping, or only slightly (less than 10MB) during some news.daily runs but the
crashes occur randomly.

FYI, This server accepts a full feed and feed it back several times
(around 250MB IN and 1TB OUT per day). The load is around 0.7 without SMP
and innd is idle more 70% of the time, innfeed 90% (2 instances).

I'm no longer using SMP because of some IO APIC problems forcing the
nmi watchdog to stop the kernel (for further investigations).

> I believe it's configed for 4GB of memory, not highmem (64GB),
> since I only have 2GB installed.

both are called highmem (CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G & CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G).
I'm running this :
# CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

> | I'm tempted to fall back to kernel 2.2.19 but I'm not sure it will fit
> | my needs (largefile/himem/SMP).
> |
> | Thoughts ?
>
>   By the time you patch all the features into 2.2 you may well be
> running less tested code than with 2.4. That's my feeling. I read that
> there was some minor issue with 2.4.4, 2.4.5-pre1 is out, as is ac1, I
> think that's a good idea if you want to upgrade again.

AFAIK, my problems are well known but quite hard to fix. They are not
new.

Fabien Tassin -+- fta at sofaraway.org