New controlchan landed

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon May 7 08:28:40 UTC 2001

Matti Saarinen <mjs at cc.tut.fi> writes:

>         Well, I upgraded to the CURRENT pulled on 2001-05-06 and
>         controlchan does not seem to work:

> May  7 10:20:26 news2.cc.tut.fi controlchan[6288]: Unrecognized character \x05 at /usr/local/news/bin/control/ line 1.  Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/news/bin/controlchan line 55.

>         I am not so familiar with perl that I could immediatly find
>         out what is happening there. Older controlchan appears to
>         be working.

That definitely looks like a Perl bug; it means that $1 is empty by the
time Perl gets to the require in the code:

foreach (readdir CTL) {
    next if not /^([a-z\.]+\.pl)$/ and not -f "$inn::controlprogs/$_";
    eval { require "$inn::controlprogs/$1" };

which should be impossible.  Bleh.  Anyone else have 5.6.0 to try this
out?

>         Oh, the perl version is 5.6.0 and without Sys::Syslog.

Er?  I could have sworn Sys::Syslog has been in Perl since practically
forever; it was fixed in 5.6.0 to work much more nicely, but it should at
least be *present* in earlier versions....