pure intranet news server...

Lisa Ungar lungar at us.ibm.com
Tue May 8 22:08:25 UTC 2001

Ed,

I am pretty new at his too, but here is how I  had setup a simple news
server with no feeds.

First, I checked the newsfeeds file and verify that I had the

ME:*,!junk:: line uncommented  - This is needed

Second In the readers.conf I had the following added for  every machine

auth "all" {
  hosts: "*"
  default: "<all>@ibm.com"
}

access "all" {
   users:  "<all>@ibm.com"
   newsgroups: "*"
}

You might want to take a look at the expire.ctl file, since the default,
depending on what you selected as your storage method,  is 10 days.  You
might want to set this a little longer.

I don't know about the password.nntp file, since the documentation for
authentication mention with the ckpasswd -f the  file needs the file format
to have encrypted passwords.

Hope this helps,

Lisa