Possible Solaris 8/INN-2.3.2 Problem

James Ralston qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu May 24 05:38:42 UTC 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Timothy Demarest wrote:

> However, telnetting to port 119 or trying to run any newsreaders
> does not produce any results.  The newsreaders timeout, the telnet
> attempt doesn't return the INN banner.  Also, 'ctlinnd mode' hangs
> indefinitely, and the shuitdown process doesn't work.  The innd
> process is running.  There are no errors in the logs.

I'm quite familiar with running INN on Solaris systems, but I've never
encountered behavior like what you're describing.  (I admit I haven't
used ovdb under Solaris, though.)

Try using truss(1) to follow innd, ctlinnd, et. al. as you run them.
If they're blocking on something, that should give you a good idea
where and what.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute