Renumber the ni and low marks the active file

Katsuhiro Kondou kondou at nec.co.jp
Wed May 30 03:13:33 UTC 2001

In article <OF2432E93B.74E3DCC5-ON85256A5B.0068571F at pok.ibm.com>,
	"Lisa Ungar" <lungar at us.ibm.com> wrote;

} Is there another way?  I can always reset the number inside the active file
} itself, but I would like to know where else it may get the number?

- remove group.index
- edit active file to set himark whatever you like
- run makehistory

would do what you want.

} Do I still need to run the makedbz command even though it says that it
} dropped the articles?

It's necessary every time you recreate history.

} Next question, should I do a ctlinnd cancel on all articles and then
} rmgroup ?  Or can I just rebuild the history file after removing a group
} from the active file using makehistory, manually remove the articles using
} rm, and then run makehistory to rebuild the overview? Should I remove all
} articles  and the group, readd the group and copy the articles not
} cancelled to reset the hi and lowmarks in the active file?

I'm not sure what you're aiming, but assuming you just want
to delelte a group, you need to remove articles manually for
that group.  Any other operation is not needed.

fyi:
tradindexed does not care articles for deleted newsgroups.
Neigher ovdb does.  buffindexed DOES care.

--
Katsuhiro Kondou