problems feeding posts to upstream newsfeed

Wim Lewis wiml at omnigroup.com
Thu Nov 1 22:54:08 UTC 2001

On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 02:47  PM, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Sam Ducksworth wrote:
>> The problem occurs when I run nntpsend to send the posts to our
>> upstream
>> provider. I keep getting messages about "ihave" not supported. Have any
>> of you encountered this? Do I need to set my site up as "push" instead
>> of "pull".
>
> You need to do one of two things:
>
> - get an actual feed (i.e., contact your upstream newsadmin and ask
>   for one)
>
> - use a program (such as "suck" or "news") which is designed for
>   sending posts back

Hmmm, I just responded to Mr Ducksworth off-list. I don't think this is
correct: it's not necessary to have a feed in order to use IHAVE. It is
necessary that the upstream site be configured to accept a feed from you
(e.g. you must be in incoming.conf), but there's no requirement that the
upstream site be actively feeding you. You can use a 'pull'-type feed to
receive articles and still use IHAVE for outgoing articles.