Problems with large amoung of rmgroup requests coming through.

John Leslie john at jlc.net
Fri Nov 2 00:21:57 UTC 2001

Eric McDonald <ericm at rain.org> wrote:

> I've been having problems with all sorts of  rmgroup commands coming through
> my server.
>
> They all seem to be coming from the same person:
>
> Nov  1 15:38:37 news controlchan[1091]: control_rmgroup, t-netz.werbung
> edhew at xenitec.on.ca edhew at xenitec.on.ca
> @030362756666303800000019D4EE00000001@, news-out.visi.com, doit, 1
>
> Nov  1 15:38:30 news controlchan[1091]: control_rmgroup, t-netz.sex-stories
> edhew at xenitec.on.ca edhew at xenitec.on.ca
> @03036275666630340000001A611A00000001@, news-out.visi.com, doit, 1

   I've been getting a large number, but only acting on biz.*, so far
as I can tell. I assume they're either a big-time screwup, or forged.

   My Path: shows

which looks mostly honest. Anybody else see evidence of forgery in the Path?

> According to my control.ctl file, this person should only have authority to
> remove groups in the biz.* area, so why is my server responding to control
> messages?

   Sorry, can't help you with that. :^(

> bash$ grep edhew control.ctl
> newgroup:edhew at xenitec.on.ca:biz.*:doit
> rmgroup:edhew at xenitec.on.ca:biz.*:doit
> # Contact: Ed Hew <edhew at xenitec.on.ca>

   Do you have (at the top):
]
] ##      DEFAULT
] all:*:*:mail

   It works for me (except for spamming muchly during the periodic
hipcrime storms).

> Any help would be appreciated.  So many control messages are being sent that
> it takes down my server.  I'm get load averages over 50.

   Fortunately, my server isn't acting on them, except to email some
of them to me as newsadmin...

--
John Leslie <john at jlc.net>