Problems with large amoung of rmgroup requests coming through.

Eric McDonald ericm at rain.org
Fri Nov 2 00:05:49 UTC 2001

I've been having problems with all sorts of  rmgroup commands coming through
my server.

They all seem to be coming from the same person:

Nov  1 15:38:37 news controlchan[1091]: control_rmgroup, t-netz.werbung
edhew at xenitec.on.ca edhew at xenitec.on.ca
@030362756666303800000019D4EE00000001@, news-out.visi.com, doit, 1

Nov  1 15:38:30 news controlchan[1091]: control_rmgroup, t-netz.sex-stories
edhew at xenitec.on.ca edhew at xenitec.on.ca
@03036275666630340000001A611A00000001@, news-out.visi.com, doit, 1

According to my control.ctl file, this person should only have authority to
remove groups in the biz.* area, so why is my server responding to control
messages?

bash$ grep edhew control.ctl
newgroup:edhew at xenitec.on.ca:biz.*:doit
rmgroup:edhew at xenitec.on.ca:biz.*:doit
# Contact: Ed Hew <edhew at xenitec.on.ca>

Any help would be appreciated.  So many control messages are being sent that
it takes down my server.  I'm get load averages over 50.

Eric