Correction: INN STABLE 20011014: Expire takes ages

Steven C. Neighorn neighorn at qiclab.scn.rain.com
Wed Nov 14 19:23:28 UTC 2001

> Sender: inn-workers-bounce at isc.org
>

> At 02:01 PM 11/13/01 -0800, Joe St Sauver wrote:
> >Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the whole expiration problem (at least
> >on large INN *reader* boxes) because if you run with CNFS plus tradindexed
> >overviews, expireover ends up doing touching too many articles trying to
> >see if they're still present in the CNFS spool...
> >
> >I'd be interested in hearing what other folks are doing for large article
> >count spool reader boxes in terms of overview solutions...
>
> I'm running with ovdb, which means expireover only takes about 4 hours,
> and expire is still blazingly fast, and just live with having to reboot the machine
> about once a week, usually at 2 in the morning, when all of the db accessing
> processes deadlock.,,

I am in a similar boat to Joe St Sauver and Ron Jarrell wrt expire/expireover.

My system is running inn-STABLE-20011009, and uses CNFS and ovdb with BerkeleyDB.3.3.11
and after a clean start expireover takes a little longer each day. After about
3 weeks I believe, my expireover takes (from the nightly report):

Expire messages:
expireover start Wed Nov 14 03:03:31 PST 2001: ( -Z/usr/local/news/log/expire.lowmark)
expireover end Wed Nov 14 09:09:17 PST 2001
lowmarkrenumber begin Wed Nov 14 09:09:17 PST 2001: (/usr/local/news/log/expire.lowmark)
lowmarkrenumber end Wed Nov 14 09:09:18 PST 2001

This is with: /usr/local/news/bin/news.daily expireover lowmark

I also have the "once every 2-4 weeks all the news processes get stuck" problem, ie
they are all in lwp_mutex_lock(). I can kill TERM/9 everything, clean out the __db.???
in the overview dir, and restart. I have not had to reboot after a hang. This lockup
also appears to be quantum-partically linked to my leaving the building, at lunch,
or being otherwise occupied.

--
Steven C. Neighorn      neighorn at qiclab.scn.rain.com http://www.scn.rain.com
SCN Research, Inc.        "Where we train the Star Fighters who defend the