Problems with overview or expire configuration

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 16 20:39:26 UTC 2001

Ah, fun with obdb and expireover! I just went though similar problems during
an inn 2.2.x -> inn 2.3.2 upgrade.

Before running any of this make sure your storage.conf is setup correctly
and your do this as the news user. If not makehistory may fail or worse yet
muck with permissions. I don't know if all this is right but it worked for me.

First I throtled the server and killed existing history* files. Next create
an empty history file (touch history) and run makedbz -i. Move history.n.*
to history.* and then run makehistory -a -O -b -e to rebuild history and
obdb stuff.

Next I ran news daily as:

  su - news -c "/usr/bin/news.daily delayrm noexpireover"

I repated this until I got a clean expire run for the artical spool.
Aparently I had several duplicate entries in the history file which were
messing up the ovdb during the expireover run. Check the email news.daily
creates to make sure you get a good expire run.

Once I did I ran news.daily again without the noexpireover option and
everything worked as it should.

Again, this worked for me. I also admit to being an egg when it comes to
nntp admin work so take all this with a grain of salt.

-- Scott

--
Regards,
 Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)