Using ckpasswd -s to authenticate users

Jeffrey Davis jeff at xsusio.com
Mon Sep 3 22:14:29 UTC 2001

Ok, now that I have this news server up, running and allowing posting and
reading... I want to restrict its use to only those users that have an
account on my server (with RedHat I guess this means I need to authenticate
with shadow passwords).

In reading the man page for reader.conf it says:
"note that ckpasswd may have to be setgid to a shadow group to use this
option"
What does this mean? I thought that all the programs in ~/news/bin had to be
chown to news:news

Anyway, This is a readers.conf file that works:
auth "Users" {
        hosts: "*"
        default: <local>
}
access "Users" {
        newsgroups: "*, !junk, !control, !control*"
}
 (obviously it works... It lets anyone in!)

This is what I tried that didn't work for this reason: If I don't provide a
username and  password I get a message from my client that says "This server
requires a username and password" (good, that's what I want). But when I
provide a user name and password I get "502 authentication error".

auth "Users" {
        hosts: "*"
        auth: "ckpasswd -s"
}