Secure INN

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 10 21:45:49 UTC 2001

The Doctor <doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 12:14:30PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> nnrpd can speak the nntps protocol as I understand it.  (I don't
>> believe there really is a "protocol"; it's just SSL around regular
>> NNTP.)  innd doesn't have any support for it at present.

> Russ can INN/TLS/SSL  be ready in 2.3 next, 2.4 or 3.X?

nnrpd supports SSL now.  Has since 2.3, if I recall.  So if you *really*
need secure feeding, you can fake it with suck/rpost.

This is the first time anyone's mentioned wanting news transport over SSL
that I can recall, so I haven't even thought about it.  Initial guess is
that it's likely to be pretty hard to do.