Secure INN

S.P.Zeidler spz at serpens.de
Mon Sep 10 22:13:30 UTC 2001

Thus wrote Russ Allbery (rra at stanford.edu):

> nnrpd supports SSL now.  Has since 2.3, if I recall.  So if you *really*
> need secure feeding, you can fake it with suck/rpost.
>
> This is the first time anyone's mentioned wanting news transport over SSL
> that I can recall, so I haven't even thought about it.  Initial guess is
> that it's likely to be pretty hard to do.

The more interesting question is what the point in shoving a newsfeed
through SSL would be [0]. You encrypt articles that everybody and their dog
can read on google? great win. And if you want to make sure that the
articles you accept are really from the machine you expect to feed you,
and are sufficiently paranoid, you'd use IPSEC, not SSL.

regards,
	spz

[0] I can somewhat understand that not everybody reading news would want
it known exactly what groups they are reading, so nntps for nnrpd does
have a use.
--
spz at serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)