adding missing articles into history and overview

Lisa Ungar lungar at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 11 19:25:46 UTC 2001

Hi,

I was reading the earlier notes on how to add missing articles to the
history database.

The syntax:

 makehistory -bu -O -f filename

doesn't work, because it says that -u is an invalid option.  I suspect that
-u was dropped from 2.3.0??

Next the information  in my man page states

  makehistory -b -f history.n -I -O

will scan the spool, removing broken articles and generating history and
overview entries for articles missing from history.

Doesn't this mean that duplicate entries will be added to the overview db,
since the entries haven't been removed?

Next question, how does one preserve crossposts, if one will need to
rebuild the history and overview dbs from scratch?

I saw that there is a script named addhist.pl which deals with crossposts,
does that work with 2.3.0?

Thanks for your help,,

Lisa