adding missing articles into history and overview

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Sep 11 23:35:29 UTC 2001

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Lisa Ungar wrote:

>  makehistory -bu -O -f filename
>
> doesn't work, because it says that -u is an invalid option.  I suspect that
> -u was dropped from 2.3.0??

It's not in my 2.3.2 manpage, certainly.

> Doesn't this mean that duplicate entries will be added to the overview db,
> since the entries haven't been removed?

Does your manpage have this:

       WARNING: If you're trying to rebuild the overview
       database, be sure to delete or zero out the existing
       database before you start for the best results.

> Next question, how does one preserve crossposts, if one will need to
> rebuild the history and overview dbs from scratch?

If you are using traditional spool, crossposts are implemented with links
and makehistory will deal with them just fine.

I mean, except for the fact that makehistory is a bit unreliable under
2.3.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org