forwarding email to inn

Michael Stassen stassenm at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 12 15:46:36 UTC 2001

I had this problem with INN 2.2.3 (on Solaris 7).  The problem was that
inews writes to pathtmp (/usr/local/news/tmp, in my case), so it wouldn't
work unless inews was run by user news, not the case for
sendmail->mailpost.  I was under the impression this would be fixed in
2.3.  Then again, you don't say (or I missed it) which version of INN you
have.

Anyway, the solution for me was to make inews setgid news and make pathtmp
group-writable by group news.  I expect you can do this (as root) with

  chmod g+xs /usr/local/news/bin/inews
  chmod g+rwx /usr/local/news/tmp

so inews should be -r-xr-s---   news:news
and pathtmp should be drwxrwx---   news:news

Michael