Overview building errors

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Fri Sep 14 02:56:30 UTC 2001

In article <20010913141901.A18081 at comp.chem.msu.su>,
        Jen Linkova <jen at comp.chem.msu.su> wrote;

} But on Linux 2.2.*
} k bytes will be written (and k will be return value) at
} first time we call write()/pwrite(). Remember - it's
} less than requested number of bytes to be written..So, we will get error
} message.  It's just what I get - and what is possibly the problem
} of author of original message.

I didn't understand linux behavior since I've never touched
it and its code.  Now I understand this case.

} I'm now trying to find why &gh->indexmem[ge->low - ge->base] + nbytes
} is outside address space.  But it isn't clear for me ;-(

This happens if 'ge->low - ge->base' gets bigger.  Originally,
this is due to corrupted pathoverview/group.index in most case,
I guess.  In this situation, after renumbering active, there
will be large gap for article number when assigning new one.
In the case, whenever rebuilding overview, above problem arises.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou