readers.conf problems

Basil Kruglov basil at cifnet.com
Sat Sep 22 15:33:00 UTC 2001

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:16:44AM -0400, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
> > > Right, if you fail authentication you get kicked off.  If you don't
> > > attempt to authenticate at all (you may have to uncheck something in your
> > > client to keep it from authentacting) you may (depending on configuration)
> > > have access.
> >
> > Yes.. I suspected something like this. This config works in theory tho.
>
> You shouldn't be getting 502 unless you try to authenticate.  If you
> telnet to port 119 of the server and send "list", do you see groups?

No, I don't see them. The way I understand nnrpd/readers.conf mechanism
(under this config), nnrpd first has try to authenticate user,
first come - first serve basis, authentication under l/p comes first,
no l/p authentication after.

200 nntp.cifnet.net InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 (20010316 prerelease) ready (posting ok).
list
480 Authentication required for command

> > I just need capabilities for user/class admin to cancel out messages
> > of abusers, it will be a public standalone server. (not connected to any
> > other).
>
> Do you want regular users to be able to cancel posts?

Only their own, + "special" user with appropriate privileges to cancel
any post.

-Basil