readers.conf problems

Basil Kruglov basil at cifnet.com
Mon Sep 24 16:13:58 UTC 2001

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:47:15AM -0400, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
> > 480 Authentication required for command
>
> I think there exists the capability to get this working (maybe you need a
> separate anonymous auth group with no auth: line at all?), but I don't
> have time to fiddle around with it right now.

Well, the workaround without any hacking is two different nnrpd, one is
default running under readers.conf, 2nd one running as daemon with
another config... 1st for users with l/p, 2nd is for anonymous access..

There is something in man page in the last example, I quote -

      "When they first connect, they'd have the default access for
       that user, but they could then send AUTHINFO USER and AUTHINFO PASS
       (or AUTHINFO SIMPLE) and get their extended access."

nnrpdauthsender: true ; will probably do the trick... (?) I'll test it out
today.

> > > Do you want regular users to be able to cancel posts?
> >
> > Only their own, + "special" user with appropriate privileges to cancel
> > any post.
>
> There's real support for this in NNTP, if you're running your own server
> and have trusted authentication method of some sort you might be able to
> hack it up.

Interesting, I'll keep looking..

-Basil