NEWBIE questions

Sundaram Divya-QDIVYA1 Divya.Sundaram at motorola.com
Tue Apr 2 19:34:51 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions.

(1) References Line preservations: What does INN do with regards
    to pruning or preserving the References line? Many readers are
    complaining that the References line gets pruned incorrectly
    and then threading is broken in many a newsreader. While I
    investigate to see whether the clients are the culprit, can
    anyone clue me in on how INN manages the length of the Reference
    lines in long threads?

(2) I was reading through nnrpd_auth.pl and was amazed by the
    lack of comments in the script. There is no real documentation
    on exactly what the various functions do and what the variables
    represent. My personal pet peeve is perl hackers using code
    like:
	    chomp;
	    s/\#.*//g;
	    ($block, $perm, $user, $pass, $tmp{groups}) = split(/:/);

    While any perl hacker would be proud of such code, I find
    no real clue as to the intentions of the coder from this
    code.

    Can anyone clue in this newbie as to exactly what each function
    is supposed to do? Perhaps I can provide some better comments
    in this code and prevent undue follicular impairment for
    future News Admins.

    I apologize for the rant, but this does make it more difficult
    to debug the extensions I am trying to implement ...

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards

Divya Sundaram ----------------------------- CONDITUR IN PETRA
We don't need more strength, or greater opportunity. What we
need is to use what we have.                  - BASIL S. WALSH
--------- Motorola OneIT -- Enabling the Enterprise ----------