"dbz.c: Can't malloc" during expire

Elizabeth Zaenger liz at eecs.umich.edu
Tue Apr 9 16:28:08 UTC 2002

> Elizabeth Zaenger <liz at eecs.umich.edu> writes:
>
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > Thanks, but what does this mean?  Or rather, what's the fix?
> >

> Larger ulimit, more swap, more physical RAM, move to 64 bit
> architecure (probably in that order).
>
> > (Someone suggested I needed more swap, but I can't see any evidence of
> > that....)
> >
> > > From: Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net>

> > > You ran out of memory when the history hash spilled from one table to
> > > two (or from two to three etc.).
> > >

> > > --

OK, I needed to tweak the kernel so that the datasize was bigger.
Specifically, in FreeBSD, I changed MAXDSIZ to the maximum value,
which is "(2047*1024*1024)".  This is up from 512*1024*1024 which
was set by default.

So, I'm (possibly naively) thinking my history file can grow to about
4 times its current size before I malloc again.  Is that about right,
FreeBSD kernel gurus?

Thanks to Joe, Alexk and Javier for their tips and humor during this
trying time 8^/

Liz