history write time oddity

Ben Rosengart br+inn at panix.com
Tue Apr 30 00:45:24 UTC 2002

I'm building some new news servers for Panix, based on INN 2.3.2 and
what will be 2.3.3, and I'm seeing something that weirds me out.  On
both the new feeder and the new readers, history write time as listed
in the nightly reports is about a factor of 10 higher than it was on
the old feeder and reader.

The old servers are both running "INN 2.3experimental 20-Nov-1998".
They're built to use tagged-hash, could that be the difference?  Or
has there been a change in the way history is written (I was thinking
perhaps it used to be cached and now it isn't)?

I'm especially puzzled because the newer machines have much better
I/O bandwidth than the old ones.  I'm pretty sure it's not a physical
problem, as we've tried single disks (IDE and fibre channel) and
striped and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

--
Ben Rosengart     (212) 741-4400 x215

1. A robot may not injure entertainment industry profits, or, through inaction,
   allow entertainment industry profits to come to harm.     --Matt McLeod