History file space and limit problem....

Rob Morin rob at staff.ca.inter.net
Tue Apr 30 13:15:32 UTC 2002

Hello I know now that my problem with inn stopping is because my history file is close to the 2 gig limit as per a helpful friend on this list...

its always around 1.7gigs....

I lowered the remember from the default 10 days to 5 in the ~news/etc/expire.ctl

but how do I reduce the file size now?  what do I run , without interrupting the news server?

or can I just do a cat/dev/null >history.... but what will happen to the .dir and the db files?

the server stops every 2 to 3 hours now, so I have to do something quickly....

thanks a bunch!
:)
Rob Morin(Mr.Legacy)
System Administrator