Is INN the right solution?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Aug 19 01:42:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Engstrom_Carl at emc.com wrote:

> I'm using the RPMs for easy of use...though inn isn't exactly easy...and
> I've loaded up suck to pull feeds in from my ISP.  But now I'm having
> second thoughts...Am I making my life more difficult than it needs to
> be?

Hard to say.  If you want a full-featured news server, then your approach
seems reasonable.

There are alternative solutions, e.g. newscache, leafnode, but I'm not
familiar with any of those.  You might try looking around at
http://www.newsreaders.com/ and learning more about the choices.

> I thought that the only way to do this was by setting up INN with SUCK.  The
> problem is that I can't figure out how to set this solution up correctly.

Well, if you want INN, then there are two ways to get news:
- have your ISP push the articles to you
- use a tool like suck

> a) Can I use suck with cnfs storage on the INN side?

Sure

> b) Is there a GOOD reference for setting up suck properly?  Most of the docs
> that I've run across are either in German or are not complete.

No idea

> c) Is there a better pull program for INN?

Some people use newsx.  I've never used either.

> d) Do you think that I could use the native pullers/streamers etc with INN
> to get news from my ISP?

As mentioned above, only if your ISP cooperates.  (Which they might do, if
you're doing something legit, in order to reduce load on the server.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org