Is INN the right solution?

Engstrom_Carl at emc.com Engstrom_Carl at emc.com
Mon Aug 12 19:15:04 UTC 2002

I'm quite new to INN, like a month into it.  I have successfully built and
installed the server on my RedHat 7.3 system.  I'm using the RPMs for easy
of use...though inn isn't exactly easy...and I've loaded up suck to pull
feeds in from my ISP.  But now I'm having second thoughts...Am I making my
life more difficult than it needs to be?  I can't figure out how to
configure suck properly and I'm not even sure that it will work with INN the
way I have it configured.

what I'm trying to do is the following:

1) I'm basically trying to setup a caching news server that will pull down
articles from my ISP (there are 4 news servers that I have access to) and
allow my users and applications to gain access to them from the local net.

2) I only want a subset of the newsgroups that my ISP offers.  (basically
anything that has music or MP3 in the title, including binaries)

I thought that the only way to do this was by setting up INN with SUCK.  The
problem is that I can't figure out how to set this solution up correctly.

a) Can I use suck with cnfs storage on the INN side?
b) Is there a GOOD reference for setting up suck properly?  Most of the docs
that I've run across are either in German or are not complete.
c) Is there a better pull program for INN?
d) Do you think that I could use the native pullers/streamers etc with INN
to get news from my ISP?

I'm obviously a bit lost here and grasping at straws.  Thanks for the help.

Carl