Auth/Access Question

David R. Fischer fischerdr at softhome.net
Tue Aug 20 22:08:47 UTC 2002

Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:
>

>>Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>>

>>>if the -g flag is given, but group name can't be determined,
>>>what should we do?
>>
>>I vote for die and log; having the user not have a group name sounds like
>>a real error that should be fixed.
>

> Hmm, point.
>
> Ok, I'm convinced.
>

>>(The harder problem is when the user is in a bunch of supplemental groups;
>>I'm not sure what to do about that, but at least for a first cut we can
>>just return the user's primary group.)
>

> Yup, that's what I've got for now.

This is what I was going to ask is how to handle multi-groups. Also is
this going into the nnrpd or as an outside module??  Would it be better
served if a auth backend was integrated into the nnrpd instead of
spawning out separate processes??? that way a perl, passwd, python, or a
db/ldap back-end could be written as a lib function. This could speed
things up a bit, especially when using nscd for caching the integration
of ldap into the NSLOOKUP/passwd file is about 10 fold.

Thanks,
David R. Fischer