Auth/Access Question

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 20 22:34:36 UTC 2002

David R Fischer <fischerdr at softhome.net> writes:

> This is what I was going to ask is how to handle multi-groups. Also is
> this going into the nnrpd or as an outside module??  Would it be better
> served if a auth backend was integrated into the nnrpd instead of
> spawning out separate processes???

It depends on the site.  For most sites that would use this sort of
feature, the amount of load is nowhere high enough that process creation
will be a noticable problem.  Process creation is generally cheap on Unix.

> that way a perl, passwd, python, or a db/ldap back-end could be written
> as a lib function.

This can already be done, BTW.  Embedded Python and Perl authentication
hooks are already available and it would be easy to hack up something like
this in Perl.  This is more for sites where people want this capability
without doing programming (and it's easy to implement in ckpasswd).