(fwd) Re: INN: domain name in message-IDs

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 26 16:42:46 UTC 2002

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> Just so long as this is throughly tested on Solaris

Yeah, I test everything on Solaris.  :)

> Unfortunately it is still true on Solaris 9 that Sun insists that the
> hostname is the *unqualified* name (eg fred vs fred.cornell.edu) They
> are a bit schitzoid about this (I spent some time reading all the man
> pages I could find and am still confused) but some of their disk array
> software refuses to work if you set the hostname to a fully qualified
> domain.

Yup, know that unfortunately too well from the day job.  But INN only uses
the domain setting if it can't do a forward and reverse lookup of the
local host name to fully qualify it, which should work fine on Solaris.

I think the situation under which it didn't work was if you were using NIS
for name service, which some site may still be doing for some strange
reason.