(fwd) Re: INN: domain name in message-IDs

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 26 15:48:34 UTC 2002

Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar <uhlar at fantomas.sk> writes:

> from disacussion news.software.nntp (Yes, I posted the last comment)...

> Wolfgang Fritz <wolfgang.fritz at gmx.net> wrote:
> -> There is the "domain" keyword in inn.conf to set the domain name if (and
> -> only if) gethost*name(3) fail. This does not work for me.

> I tried the same. I think this should be taken as default if domain isn't
> defined in readers.conf.

> ... would it he hard to do?

The reason why we didn't do that a while back is because that's not what
domain was meant to be.  domain was the *domain* name (to which the host
name should be prepended) and is there as a settable parameter because of
sites with old or broken DNS.

domain in readers.conf is something different.  :/

I suppose we could decide that there aren't any hosts around any more that
are so old that INN can't figure out the right domain name (although I'm
not sure this is true for some weird local configurations) and that domain
could be recycled to set the local host name.  Although if we're going to
do that, I'd rather just remove the domain parameter and add a new one.
Like, say, hostname.  :)