nnrpd question

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Aug 29 01:53:12 UTC 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Jake Roersma <jaker at tsunami.triton.net> writes:
>
> > I take that back, it seems to be getting hung when there is an over
> > usage of the NEXT command.  Is there a way to combat that, by disabling
> > the NEXT functionality of INN??
>
> If I remember from previous discussions of this, you get a significant
> speedup by turning nnrpdcheckart off in inn.conf.  But we weren't sure why
> this was....

It depends on your storage method, I think.  Checking the existence of an
article can be expensive.  (But that explains why XOVER is horribly slow;
a single invocation of NEXT shouldn't be too bad.)

Jake, can you reproduce this with commands issued manually (telnet to 119)
or only with the newsreader?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org