History File over 2GB

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 29 20:29:03 UTC 2002

greg andruk <gja at meowing.net> writes:

> Now that there's a history API and stuff, would this kludge be worth
> whipping into presentable shape and sending in?

It's one of the history modifications that I've been interested in seeing,
although I think we'd get the most mileage out of it in combination with a
few other techniques, like going to a binary (but platform-independent)
file format, which would roughly third the amount of data we're writing to
the history file.

In other words, yes, I think so, but I also don't want to end up with a
proliferation of minorly-tweaked history file formats.  I'd like to get to
a point where we have three:  traditional dbz, traditional tagged hash,
and then whatever new thing we can come up with combining all of the
tweaks we've thought of.  (And then people who want to write completely
new experimental things, like something that uses BerkeleyDB or something
that uses some completely different hash layout, can of course add in
additional ones.)