History File over 2GB

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Fri Aug 30 07:34:33 UTC 2002

> greg andruk <gja at meowing.net> writes:
>
> > Now that there's a history API and stuff, would this kludge be worth
> > whipping into presentable shape and sending in?
>
> It's one of the history modifications that I've been interested in seeing,
> although I think we'd get the most mileage out of it in combination with a
> few other techniques, like going to a binary (but platform-independent)
> file format, which would roughly third the amount of data we're writing to
> the history file.

If we do do that, one of the things I'd like to see in the design
would be plenty of framing characters, so that automated fixing is
straightforward.

> In other words, yes, I think so, but I also don't want to end up with a
> proliferation of minorly-tweaked history file formats.  I'd like to get to
> a point where we have three:  traditional dbz, traditional tagged hash,
> and then whatever new thing we can come up with combining all of the
> tweaks we've thought of.  (And then people who want to write completely
> new experimental things, like something that uses BerkeleyDB or something
> that uses some completely different hash layout, can of course add in
> additional ones.)

I suspect the first person to take up this particular torch will find
all of those places I missed dependencies when I did the history API
stuff!

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc