installation and start

Rene Tschaggelar tschaggelar at dplanet.ch
Sat Aug 31 15:36:35 UTC 2002

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Rene Tschaggelar wrote:
>
> > I downloaded inn-2.3.3g to a suse7.2 system and was able to
> > configure it with perl, but without SSL. The with-openssl
> > configuration had problems with files not found.
>
> If you need SSL, give us more information about the problems and perhaps
> we can help.

Need is not the right expression. Rather interested to have a look
at. I'm not even sure my newsreader supports SSL. Ok, at

./configure --with-perl --with-openssl=/usr/ssl

the process stops at

checking for OpenSSL location... /usr/ssl
checking for RSAPublicEncrypt in -lrsaref ... no
checking for BIO_new in -lcrypto ... no
configure: error: Can not find OpenSSL

the given path /usr/ssl is where the configuration files of openssl
reside. The binary *openssl itself is in /usr/sbin. Giving that path
didn't improve anything either.
My meagre script knowledge led me to believe to have found the cause:
there is an /include/openssl/ssl.h required.
It is indeed not there. I have OpenSSL installed, at least Yast
tells me so and the directories /usr/ssl are there.

> > I've no idea about running it. The whole subdirectories are
> > completely different to the previos versions I know.
> > The general documentation available about inn on isc.org refers
> > to the old versions.
> >
> > Is there a quickstart guide available ?
>
> Yes, in a very detailed file called INSTALL in the top level of the source
> tree.

Aah, Ooh, Uuh, yes, thanks. I had a quick look at it and started
skipping after :
'MAKE' takes 5 to 10 minutes on a decent machine.

It took a few seconds. My machine is a 866MHz Pentium, not to
be considered decent anymore. So I considered the text to be
years old. If that could be updated ...

Rene