bindaddress & port -> listen ?

Matus "fantomas" Uhlar uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Aug 1 09:55:04 UTC 2002

-> > i see directives bindaddress and port in inn.conf. As long as I was
-> > thinking about support for SSL, ipv6 etc, I'd like to know if we are
-> > going to have support for more address/ports innd and/or nnrpd will
-> > listen at.
->
-> Hmm.  It's hard to imagine when you would want INN to listen on multiple
-> ports, really.  I mean, some crazy thing like you have two network
-> interfaces and 119 is firewalled on one of them, I guess.  I can't work up
-> much energy about this, though.

well, let's start with ipv4 and ipv6. for nnrpd, it can be also ssl and
non-ssl.

-> There is some benefit to nnrpd on multiple ports (different
-> configurations, some with SSL some without, whatever).  But I can't see as
-> it's a big problem just to have several nnrpd's listening (if you use
-> daemon mode; if not just configure inetd as appropriate), right?

Well, i don't think it's a problem, but i find it superflous. And also, i
got an idea about using shared memory for accessing active, overview etc,
which would probably spare cpu/time/memory/io, which would be much easier
with one nnrpd and its children.

so I'd like just put this as idea, recommendation, something into TODO list.
And probably talk about its pros/cons.

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar at fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...