SERVER cant store article: File exists

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 7 19:54:43 UTC 2002

SAE's System Administrator <noc at sae.gr> writes:

> after a power failure, my news server reports these messages...

> Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: SERVER cant store article: File exists
> Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: tradspool: could not open /var/spool/news/articles/grk/test/103 File exists
> Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: SERVER cant store article: File exists
> Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: tradspool: could not open /var/spool/news/articles/grk/talk/TV/satellite/feedhunters/1321 File exists

Two options.

One is to rebuild overview.  See the makehistory man page.

Another is to look at your news.notice logs for when the server came back
up and look for all the lines that talk about renumbering newsgroups.
Bring the server down.  Delete all the articles in the spool between the
old high water mark and the new high water mark.  Now start the server
again and it should be happy.

I used the latter procedure the last time I had this problem, so I know it
works.