SERVER cant store article: File exists

Wim Lewis wiml at omnigroup.com
Wed Aug 7 19:58:50 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 12:32  PM, SAE's System Administrator
wrote:
> Hello inn-workers,
>
> after a power failure, my news server reports these messages...
>
> Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: SERVER cant store article: File exists
> Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: tradspool: could not open
> /var/spool/news/articles/grk/test/103 File exists
> Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: SERVER cant store article: File exists

I occasionally get that problem after an unclean shutdown. I solve it by
rebuilding the history and overview databases (and making sure that the
active file is numbered correctly). Rebuilding overview may be overkill,
but since I also often get overview corruption after an unclean
shutdown, I rebuild it just to be sure.