SERVER cant store article: File exists

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Aug 8 04:01:28 UTC 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Wim Lewis wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 12:32  PM, SAE's System Administrator
> wrote:
>
> > Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: SERVER cant store article: File exists
> > Aug  7 22:27:53 filippos innd: SERVER cant store article: File exists
>
> I occasionally get that problem after an unclean shutdown. I solve it by
> rebuilding the history and overview databases (and making sure that the
> active file is numbered correctly). Rebuilding overview may be overkill,
> but since I also often get overview corruption after an unclean
> shutdown, I rebuild it just to be sure.

Nope, you need to rebuild all of overview.  (And as of 2.3.3 I have no
evidence that there's any downside to that except for the time that it
takes to complete.)  This makes overview accurately reflect the articles
on disk.

Then you need to renumber the active file (to get the high watermark to
reflect overview).

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org