restoring expired articles

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Aug 9 14:12:41 UTC 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Matt Schillinger wrote:

> I have restored the articles in question to a restore directory via our
> backup software, but need to get the articles into innd so that users can
> see the articles.

You're using tradspool, I presume?

If you're running 2.3.x, upgrade to 2.3.3.

You need to delete or zero-out your overview data, do `makehistory -O`
(other flags as desired, read the manpage), then `makedbz` (possibly
flags) and rename the history.n.* files to remove the .n, then `ctlinnd
renumber ''` as soon as you start INN up again.

> but I am apprehensive in pursuing it on the live server.

Shouldn't be a problem.  You can make a copy of spool/overview and all of
db/ before you start, if you're really worried.

(Obviously you need to shut INN off first, I hope that's not what you mean
by "live".)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org