Licenses on a few things in INN

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 11 00:39:47 UTC 2002

I have a request from the Debian maintainer to evaluate whether we can
remove those things in the INN source tree that aren't free by the Debian
guidelines, to make it easier for them to distribute INN.  This affects
authprogs/pwcheck.c, which has the following license:

 # Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
 # documentation is hereby granted for non-commercial purposes only
 # provided that this copyright notice appears in all copies and in
 # supporting documentation.
 #
 # Permission is also granted to Internet Service Providers and others
 # entities to use the software for internal purposes.
 #
 # The distribution, modification or sale of a product which uses or is
 # based on the software, in whole or in part, for commercial purposes or
 # benefits requires specific, additional permission from:
 #
 #  Office of Technology Transfer
 #  Carnegie Mellon University
 #  5000 Forbes Avenue
 #  Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890
 #  (412) 268-4387, fax: (412) 268-7395
 #  tech-transfer at andrew.cmu.edu

and contrib/pathinfo.in, which has the following license:

# This program is provided as freely available and
# distributable Perl source code only, and you are free
# to make whatever modifications you like, so long as you
# contribute them back to me and do not make the modified
# versions available to other persons without express prior
# consent.

Since neither of these programs seem particularly critical or so far as I
know are widely used, I'd prefer to just remove them both from both
CURRENT and STABLE and instead put them in the contrib area on ftp.isc.org
where they're not part of the distribution.

Does anyone have any objections to this?  Let me know, if so, or I'll make
this change next week.