String handling audit and new HACKING points

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Wed Aug 14 05:34:42 UTC 2002

> Marco d'Itri <md at Linux.IT> writes:
> > On Aug 13, Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> >> basically requires getting very chummy with an sprintf implementation
> >> or requires variadic macros (which we can't rely on).  At least as far
> >> as I can tell.
>
> > Why not? Which modern systems do not support them?
> > Don't we require mmap anyway?
>
> They're new in C99.  I don't think that even current commercial Unix
> vendor compilers support them.  Support is considerably less widespread
> than support for mmap.
>
> Requiring variadic macros pretty much amounts to requiring GCC right now,
> I think, and I don't really want to do that.

I think Sun have put it into Forte C 7, but I've not actually
checked. Certainly I'd be very unhappy about being forced to use GCC.
We still use Sun Workshop 5.0 on Solaris 2.5.1 for several hundred
packages we deploy internally, and only have to use something newer
for one (groff which uses features of C++ which Workshop 5.0 gets
wrong).

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc