Documentation cleanup issues

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Dec 3 19:48:09 UTC 2002

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0212022333250.8548-100000 at puck.litech.org>,
Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> wrote:

| Ok, I'm currently committing a bunch of changes to the documentation.

Yes, and thank you for taking the time to do this. See? It isn't a
thankless task.

| I also tried to standardize a bunch of stuff which was inconsistent; for
| example I always use a comma before "and" in lists like "x, y, and z".
| People hold varying views on this sort of thing, but I figured standard
| was better than not.

AFAIK that's more correct, although the comma is optional. I was always
taught to use it if there were more than two items ("a and b" or
"a, b, and c."

| - When we have multiple manpages rolled into one (I'm thinking send-uucp
|   and friends here), do we want to install them as symlinks so `man foo`
|   always works even if foo is incorporated into some other manpage?

Since these cases are always in the same directory, a hard link will do
as well, is trivially faster, works of ancient SysV/Xenix, and can't
leave a pointer to a missing file under any conditions.

| - Also referenced but nonexistent are newsrequeue and nntplink.

May I ask if nntplink is still around in any useful sense? Does someone
still support or even distribute it? If not that might be a candidate to
go away.

| - I forget myself, but in readers.conf, are *all* auth groups containing
|   an auth: line used, or just all the auth lines in the last matching
|   auth group?  The documentation is contradictory on this.

I think it's worse than that, ISTR it was all matching rules until a
success, order was important.

| - In the final "complicated" example of readers.conf, should the pattern
|   "*,!example.*" be "*, at example.*" instead?  I think it probably should.

I have to look at the page on that one, to see what the text claims;-)

| - There's still a lot of use of "wildmat" (instead of "uwildmat") in
|   casual text; do we mean to change completely or only in direct
|   references to the library routine?

I would think that wildmat refers to the method and uwildmat to the
implementation thereof, if that makes sense in context.

| - I wanted to ask if we assume $pathtmp is on the same partition as
|   $pathincoming (presumably I saw some code that used this fact,
|   although If orget what); if so we should document that somewhere.

I hope not, some sites might have to symlink one or the other to a f/s
with enough room.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc