Patch for sm

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Wed Dec 11 07:43:50 UTC 2002

[Russ Allbery]:

>   Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho at ifi.uio.no> writes:
>   > it was written to populate a Diablo reader server while keeping INN as
>   > the backend spool server.  as you probably know, a Diablo reader only
>   > keeps overview and active information.  it will populate a cache of
>   > actually requested articles when running, but you can clear this if you
>   > like.
>
>   Hm.  It takes rnews batch files containing the headers?  Or was
>   there another piece of glue involved?

I copied the batch file across the net using rsync -e "ssh -C" or
something, then used rnews to convert the data to NNTP, IIRC.  these
days people use innxmit instead, not sure if it can do it as optimally
on network resources.

>   If there was another piece of glue involved, I'm inclined to say
>   that that piece of glue should do the removal of bodies, since
>   otherwise one has a nasty rnews batch sitting around that, if ever
>   imported into a regular server, would result in potential
>   propagation of corrupt articles.

I see your point.  it would be nice if rnews had a switch to support a
header feed, but I didn't bother at the time.

Kjetil T.