[INN-COMMITTERS] inn (9 files)

Kiernan, Alex alexk at demon.net
Fri Dec 13 04:38:05 UTC 2002

> Alex Kiernan <Alex_Kiernan at isc.org> writes:
>
> >     Date: Thursday, December 12, 2002 @ 08:49:32
> >   Author: alexk
>
> >    Added: include/tst.h lib/tst_cleanup.c lib/tst_delete.c
> >           lib/tst_grow_node_free_list.c lib/tst_init.c
> lib/tst_insert.c
> >           lib/tst_search.c
> > Modified: LICENSE lib/Makefile
>
> > Ternary search tree code from Peter A. Friend
> > (http://www.octavian.org/cs/tst1.3.tar.gz) under a BSD license
>
> Cool, what will this end up being used for?

First one I've got is a message id to storage token cache in nnrpd - when
someone does xover or newnews (though I guess xpat/xhdr could populate it
too) stash the storage token associated with the message id, then expire
entries from it as they issue article/head/body commands.

For some of our users trips through the history database were taking 90% of
their session time, with this change they take negligible time - for some
users this is minutes per news session.

I'm not far off committing this code - probably later today.

> A few nits to look at with this code at some point:
>
>  * Is it fairly stable?

Seems to be - we've been running it for some months now & I've nothing which
points at any problems with it. One thing I haven't done is running it with
Purify though.

>  If so, I think we should go ahead and assimilate
>    it (s/malloc/xmalloc/, s/calloc/xcalloc/, reformat to match our coding
>    standards, maybe merge into a single C file, etc.).

Fine by me.

>  * The lib/tst_grow_node_free_list.c name is pretty long; if we don't
>    make it a single file, it may still be worthwhile to
> shorten that name
>    just so that an ls of the lib directory doesn't scroll off
> the screen.

:)

>  * include/tst.h should probably be include/inn/tst.h since
> it will be an
>    installed header file eventually.

I debated that when I added it, then figured we'd probably want to do some
work on the layout first. As a first cut I really wanted to take the code
exactly as it was before we "owned" it.

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc