buffindexed: could not open overview

Sang-yong Suh sysuh at kigam.re.kr
Mon Dec 16 07:17:04 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 05:34:10AM +0900, Sang-yong Suh wrote:
> Based on my experience, I think the error is specific to SMP Linux, and
> suspect it may be related to MMAP_MISSES_WRITE. Yesterday, I've rebuilt
> INN with MMAP_MISSES_WRITE flag turned on, and tried again.  I now turned
> on the newsfeed from a nearby feeder box, and enabled crontab to run
> expire every six hours to see if it is working or not.  Let me play with
> it a few more times.  After that I will try with OV_DEBUG option.

It looks like that I don't have to go on OV_DEBUG.

After rebuilding INN with MMAP_MISSES_WRITES symbol turned on,
and rebuilding overver DB, my RedHat Linux 7.3 SMP runs smoothly.
I've run news.daily every six hours on the test box, and received
six CLEAN reports already.  No overview error.

Without MMAP_MISSES_WRITES symbol, news.daily consitently reported
overview error. It was against a fresh overview DB.  I made the test
on more than four fresh DBs.

Therefore, the next step would be writing a test program which simulate
mmapwrites as done by the two programs innd and expireover.
I want to prove that MMAP misses writes if they run simulataneously
on a SMP Linux.

Katsuhiro, would you like to write a such test program so that I can run
my Linux SMPs?  If all goes well, we may replace the test program in
INN configure...
--
sysuh