INN 2.3.4 available for testing

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 23 02:13:47 UTC 2002

Marco d'Itri <md at Linux.IT> writes:
> On Dec 23, Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

>>  * Two bugs in pgpverify when using GnuPG were fixed: it now correctly
>>    checks for gpgv (rather than pgp) when told to use GnuPG and expects
>>    the keyring to be pubring.gpg (not pubring.pgp).

> Why this? There is no reason to change the keyring name!

My argument was the other way; there's no reason to change the keyring
name.  :)  GnuPG uses pubring.gpg.  You can't even change it completely;
it still does things like create a .gpg keyring even if you feed it the
right arguments.  Plus, what we were doing before just didn't work at all;
it wasn't feeding the right arguments to GnuPG.

> The same file can be shared by pgp and GnuPG.

Kind of, if you only ever maintain it with PGP, and if you only ever use
RSA keys.  I don't think that's useful compatibility.  If you really want
to support both (and I'm not sure why anyone would; GnuPG is completely
superior in every respect), it's trivial to maintain two keyrings.  If
they share a keyring, you can't validate control messages signed with DSS
keys at all, and there are already a couple of hierarchies using DSS keys.
And it's a lot harder to explain how to use GnuPG to create the
non-standard keyring.