nnrpd development

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 6 03:08:35 UTC 2002

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> There have been periodic requests to make things more-configurable per
> instance of nnrpd (e.g., we already have -c readers.conf, but also
> Bettina wanted -p pidfile, and somebody else wanted to set the path to
> the SSL certificate).  What do people think about pulling all of the
> nnrpd-specific parts of inn.conf out into an nnrpd.conf or some such,
> and then making nnrpd take a flag for specifying that file?  Then
> everything would be customizable.

The long-term Grand Scheme is to do exactly that, using the new
configuration parser and implementing it as a config group, so that one
can include it all in inn.conf if one prefers using something like:

    group nnrpd {
        parameter: value
    }

or in another file with the include syntax:

    group nnrpd <nnrpd.conf>

Doing the above as a short-term move has the disadvantage of requiring
some work for people when upgrading (moving those settings) and then
having to possibly do some additional work later when the Grand Scheme has
been implemented; on the other hand, I don't know how long the Grand
Scheme will take.

I'd already done the work of doing some initial classification of inn.conf
parameters for the implementation of an inn.conf parser using the new
configuration parser; I'll send that in a separate message (as it's a bit
long).

(The current status of the parser is that I ran into a few bugs,
particularly with dealing with configuration files with embedded nulls but
also a few other things, and I've not managed to fix them or commit the
new test cases.)