nnrpd development

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Wed Feb 6 03:40:47 UTC 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>
> > What do people think about pulling all of the
> > nnrpd-specific parts of inn.conf out into an nnrpd.conf or some such,
> > and then making nnrpd take a flag for specifying that file?  Then
> > everything would be customizable.
>
> Doing the above as a short-term move has the disadvantage of requiring
> some work for people when upgrading (moving those settings) and then
> having to possibly do some additional work later when the Grand Scheme has
> been implemented; on the other hand, I don't know how long the Grand
> Scheme will take.

Hmm.  So the trick that people have been using is to compile an extra copy
of nnrpd in a different tree, with a different location of inn.conf.  How
much work would it be to make the inn.conf used specifiable at runtime?
Then the default would be the regular one, so most people wouldn't have to
change, and it would take hardly any hacking on nnrpd.  I have no idea if
the current inn.conf parser could deal with this.

Whoa.  Wait.  From lib/getconfig.c

    if (!(innconffile = getenv("INNCONF")))
        innconffile = _PATH_CONFIG;

do we already have the functionality I described above, using environment
variables?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org