nnrpd development

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 7 08:52:18 UTC 2002

Brian Kantor <brian at UCSD.Edu> writes:

>> ideally one should write an Internet Draft ...

> On the other hand, a small group of interested people could
> design something, get it working, test and refine it, and
> then document it.  That's what we should have done with NNTP.

An I-D is basically not much more than a particular format in which to
write the design.  (In other words, I generally agree with you; it's just
that writing an I-D isn't much harder than writing a regular design, and
it gives one a head-start on the whole standardization process later.)

I agree that you don't want to go near an RFC without a working design
that's undergone some refinements.