Tradspool recovery

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Jan 14 20:40:51 UTC 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>
> > Jan 14 00:03:56 marduk makehistory[18509]: tradindexed: repacking group
> > news.answers, offset 13508
> > Jan 14 00:03:56 marduk makehistory[18509]: tradindexed: packgroup cant
> > write to /usr/local/news/spool/overview/n/a/news.answers-NEW.IDX: No such
> > file or directory
>
> That last bit is very odd.  I wish I knew what was going on with it.  Is
> there a huge gap in article numbers or something?

*examines news.answers*

Well, it jumps from 12651 to 20034, I don't know why.  I doubt that
qualifies as "huge", though.

Actually, I have no idea why these articles are still around.  For
example,

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.databases,de.comp.databases,comp.answers,news.answers
Date:       17 May 2001 22:12:37 GMT
Expires:    30 Jun 2001 22:09:06 GMT

and the relevant bit of expire.ctl is

*:A:1:14:42
*:M:1:28:84

Oh, wait, I have an idea.  If these were articles that were missed by the
last broken makehistory run (a long time ago -- last June could be right),
expire probably would have ignored them all this time, right?  So maybe
they'll be gone tomorrow.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org