Use of port 433 for news transport

Humes, David G. David.Humes at jhuapl.edu
Fri Jan 25 14:52:03 UTC 2002

Hello,

The news server that I inherited was configured to accept its feeds on port
433.  We're in the process of switching over to a new ISP and they are
giving me grief on delivering my feed on anything but 119.  They're running
Cyclone 1.4.2 and it looks like it's trivial to send a feed on an alternate
port.  So, I don't understand the resistance.  But, I am curious about the
history of port 433.  From what I can determine at some point it was
considered desirable to have separate port numbers for newsreaders and news
routing agents.  Seems like a reasonable idea.  Did it every make it into a
draft?  Is the use of port 433 becoming more or less common?  Depending on
the answer to the previous question, would it be a good idea to convert my
other feeds to deliver on 119?

Thanks.

Dave Humes